Tuesday 26 August 2014

Caritas, share the love

The above title is not just a title for this post I'm about to write, it is the title of one of the tracks from the "Share The Love" album, an album of songs dedicated to the IJ community. It's been years since I last heard this track which used to be played every morning back in IJ Kellock, and till today the lyrics to the song have never left the spaces of my memories (partly because they made us commit it to memory for some function I do not recall). But a few months ago this I stumbled across the track on YouTube and I had a greater appreciation for what I had committed brainlessly to memory last time. I wished I had bought the album back then now because I can't seem to find it anywhere D:

But I feel it's apt to bring in now about this text I came across just now, from 2 years ago, from a classmate who was different in her own way, and evidently it rubbed off in the wrong way to everyone is class (I would admit that I am guilty of this as well). 


Though the details of that event are somewhat blurry, what I recall was that Shiyin and I decided to go for 'Shakespeare at the Park' at Fort Canning to watch the play Twelfth Night. And I think we found ourselves in a rather lonely situation (HAHA) because the rest of our gang wanted to give it a miss and it was supposed to be a 'community event' of sorts to commemorate the anniversary of the IJ schools... So we either had to be lone rangers or join the others in our class, which included the girl, let's call her K, and frankly we weren't too eager about that but we just grouped together anyway. I think I speak for both of us when I say that this sparked some kind of paradigm shift, because we realised K was actually very nice if we made an effort to be kind to her in the first place, despite our pre-conceived impressions of her. 

The origins of the text came from when we were delegating tasks to each other for the food we should bring, since it was a picnic setting. And well I think we got along quite well, and looking back at this text actually made me smile. We come across people whom everyone can't seem to get along all the time, but I guess I'm glad that one time allowed me to see the good of someone who was constantly brushed aside. 

"Eyes speaking of an endless grief
Lips open in a wordless cry
Let's share the love we take for granted
Try to keep their last hopes alive

Hands reaching for their loved ones lost
Hearts holding to a flickering dream
Let's share the life we waste away
Show them that the world truly cares

Caritas, share the love that they are missing inside
Caritas, take a step to reach out to the other side
There's so much we can give if we dare
To the lost and forgotten out there
Caritas, share the love, share the love

Smiles breaking through those hardened faces 
A gift to us that makes us whole
Lets share the peace our maker gave us
Making our souls feel alive

Caritas, share the love that they are missing inside
Caritas, take a step to reach out to the other side
There's so much we can give if we dare
To the lost and forgotten out there
Caritas, share the love, share the love"

I should get back to studying Chemistry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment